Patient Billing & Accounts | Humboldt County Memorial Hospital
- Billing Address (Guarantor): The person designated to receive the monthly billing statements. This person is responsible for coordinating the billing, payment and insurance coverage for the account.
- Patient Account Number: The account number of the person who received services. Refer to this number when calling with questions.
- Current Amount Due: This is your total balance for services performed at UnityPoint Health.
- Facility Name: The location where service was provided.
- Services Provided: Description of services provided.
- Adjustments/Payments: Payments and adjustments applied to the account.
- New Charges: Charges incurred for new services during the past month.
- Visit Balance: The current balance of each account.
- Payment Plan: The agreed upon payment plan amount.
Patient Charges and Costs
You're more than just a label on a bill. Humboldt County Memorial Hospital is dedicated to providing you with the information you need to keep you healthy, including details regarding our charges, your costs and information about financial assistance that may be available to you. We want to deliver easier, more personal care to you and your family.
How Humboldt County Memorial Hospital Can Help You Understand Your Cost of Care
When you need our services, you may wonder how much your care will cost. Our financial coordinators are available to provide individualized cost estimates based on the type of care you plan to receive and your insurance information.
- If you have health insurance, it is best to first contact your insurance provider.
- Why? Many insurance providers offer estimates for your out-of-pocket costs based on your plan's specific benefits. Your insurance provider may also have information to help you compare price and quality measures for the healthcare providers available to you.
- Humboldt County Memorial Hospital also provides patients with out-of-pocket cost estimates based on your planned services and your insurance carrier/plan. To request a cost estimate, call our billing department at 515-332-4200.
- Why? We are committed to providing you with information about your estimated out-of-pocket cost as you make health care decisions. Humboldt County Memorial Hospital has agreements with many insurance companies that determine the amount we will be paid. Our team will verify your insurance coverage and benefits, including your plan's required co-payments, deductible cost, co-insurance and maximum out-of-pocket cost specified in your plan. We can also discuss your payment options.
- If you are not insured or think you will need help paying your bill, please call (515) 332-4200 to inquire about financial assistance.
- Why? Humboldt County Memorial Hospital has a financial assistance application to assist patients who cannot reasonably pay for some or all the care they receive. Our billing office staff can also help determine if you are eligible for discounts on hospital services.
Now Available: Standard Current Charges
Beginning January 1, 2019, the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) require hospitals to be more transparent regarding the cost of care. This "Inpatient Prospective Payment System Final Rule" states that hospitals must provide a listing of their current standard charges, including a description for the item or service associated with each charge, for every item and service provided by the hospital.
Humboldt County Memorial Hospital supports the intent of these requirements and the need to educate patients on the cost of health care services. However, it is important to note that these numbers do not represent what patients will actually owe after a hospital stay or other service.
A hospital's charges are based on its unique range of services, adoption of new medical technologies, government funding level, patient demographics, and other local and regional factors. There is also a difference between "charges" and "costs":
- Charges are the full retail price for hospital or hospital outpatient services.
- The discount price is a lower rate that may be negotiated with payers ("contractual rate" or "allowable rate") or with patients ("self-pay discounts").
- The final patient cost is the individual patient's financial responsibility (your cost for services based on your benefit coverage and the discounted price).
Charges shown on the lists below do not represent payments or any specific/individual patient responsibility. Your financial responsibility will vary depending on your health insurance plan. Also, fees for doctor services or anesthesia administration are not reflected in this list and will be billed separately by your doctor.
View Humboldt County Memorial Hospital’s current charge information as of December 31, 2018.
Your charges may vary based on the specific care you receive.
Providing Timely Charge and Cost Information is Important to Us
Humboldt County Memorial Hospital will continue to improve how we share information regarding our charges and the cost of your care. As you plan for your current or near-future health care needs, be sure to use all the resources on this page and reach out to your insurance provider.
Insurance and Payment Planning
At Humboldt County Memorial Hospital, we treat our patients with dignity and respect regardless of their ability to pay for care.
When receiving services at the hospital, it is important to register at the Patient Registration Desks in the lobby area. Gathering personal and demographic information is the first step in documenting your services for your medical records. A record is maintained for every inpatient and outpatient service provided at the hospital. Medical records are kept in strict confidence and information is released only within the HIPAA Privacy guidelines.
We want to be sure you understand the charges related to your services. In addition to hospital charges, you may also receive a separate bill for physicians, radiology or pathology services. The Business Office will be glad to assist you with your billing questions.
If you have insurance or Medicare, the information on your card is vitally important. To assist us in filing your claims and making the most of your benefits:
- Does the service you will receive require pre-authorization?
- Understand the provisions of your insurance – coverage limitations, deductibles, co-pays, etc.
- If you receive any questionnaires from your insurance, complete and return them promptly
- Please advise the office if you have made any changes in your insurance
If payment arrangements need to be made, we request that you speak with one of our patient accounts representatives. Call (515) 332-4200.
We also offer a 10% prompt pay discount for patients on balances paid in full within 30 days of their first statement. We recognize the serious cost of healthcare and will make every effort to work with you on your bills.
HCMH Payment Options
Past Due Accounts
Federal and State laws require all hospitals to seek full payment. If your account becomes past due, HCMH will take appropriate action to recover the amount due. If there is a problem with your account, contact the Billing Office at (515) 332-4200. If you fail to follow through with your financial responsibilities, Trinity may refer your account to a collection agency.
Financial assistance may be available. For more information, please call (515) 332-4200.
Charity Care Application
Billing Office Hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Jill Moe, Revenue Cycle Manager
1000 North 15th Street, Humboldt, IA 50548
Phone (515) 332-7636 | Fax (515) 332-7689