Medication Disposal | Humboldt County Memorial Hospital
Humboldt County Memorial Hospital offers free unused medication disposal. Feel free to bring in all unused medications including legally-held controlled substances, such as narcotics (Schedules /I-VJ into the MedSafe Collection Receptacle located at the HCMH Pharmacy.
- NO ILLEGAL DRUGS ALLOWED (Schedule I).
- Leave medications in original packaging/containers when possible.
- NO liquid containers larger than 4 oz. Place in a plastic baggy before depositing.
- NO sharps containers, needles, syringes, batteries, aerosol spray cans, trash, medical devices, chemicals, or other hazardous materials.
HCMH Drug Bin Disposal Hours:
Monday - Friday
8 a.m.-4 p.m.
MedSafe is only available for use when pharmacy is open. If locked, please return during pharmacy hours. DO NOT LEAVE MEDICATION OUTSIDE OF THE MEDSAFE BIN!
Acceptable & Unacceptable Medications
Unused or expired prescribed (Rx) or over-the-counter (OTC) dispensed medicines, including controlled substances (Schedules 11-V.) No Schedule I/illegal drugs, such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin or meth.
Acceptable for Disposal:
- Pills, tablets, capsules
- Liquid medicines - no more than 4 oz.
- Solutions, suspensions
- Liquids must be in their original containers, wrapped in a paper towel and sealed in a plastic bag before being placed in MedSafe.
Unacceptable for Disposal:
- Aerosol spray cans*
- Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- Needles, syringes or sharps containers
- More than 4 oz. of liquid*
- Mercury thermometers*
- Home-based care (HBC) or durable medical equipment (DME) supplies
Questions? Please call the HCMH Pharmacy at (515) 332-7605.